17/02/2012 by Farmer K's Kitchen
My mum came over today for a cooking session and we went ‘nutso’ in the kitchen making a whole range of yummies. Dad is going hunting this weekend with some other blokes and mum wanted to make him some healthy treats to keep him going and well fed. It is also handy to have good quality snacks on hand when all the rest of your mates are tucking into the usual sugar-filled treats. I bet they end up eating what he brings anyway Here is what mum and I made today:
- Wowzers Chocolate Cake (with honey instead of agave).
- Date Chocolate Balls which we just kind of made up as we went along – dates, dark chocolate, almonds, sea salt, honey rolled in coconut or crushed peanuts
- Almond Macaroons
- Chocolate Coconut Ice Cream
I am going to bang on a bit about the ice cream now as it was sensational, and not just because it is dairy-free, gluten-free, and sugar-free. Obviously dad can’t take this out with him into the bush, so it has ended up in my freezer….no complaints here!
Mum picked up an ice cream maker for $30 on ebay and I have been hanging out to see it in action ever since. It is a great little machine and I wouldn’t mind finding one for myself.
Chocolate Coconut Ice Cream
- 4 cups organic coconut cream
- 1/2 – 3/4 cups xylitol natural sweetener
- 3/4 cup organic cocoa powder (or cacao if you like it strong)
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/4 tsp organic sea salt
- Add coconut cream, xylitol, cocoa, vanilla and salt into the Thermomix or processor.
- Add mixture to ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Serve straight away and store in a container in the freezer.