03/02/2012 by Farmer K's Kitchen
They REALLY are bootaful
& healthy for a gorgeous booty.
I really enjoyed hamburgers before I went all anti-gluten. It’s a meal that you can whack together that everyone usually enjoys. They are especially great at an Aussie barbie with a big juicy steak, cooked onions and tomato sauce, jam-packed and shoved into a fluffy bun *tummy grumbles*.
I have trialled many different burger recipes including one made with mainly coconut flour. That was an epic fail and I felt like I was chewing on yellow-coloured rocks! Yummm, appetising. I put that one on the shelf pretty quick thinking I would head down the burger track again once I had gained a bit more confidence with the ingredients of the gluten-free world.
As you may have noticed, I have enjoyed playing around with flaxseeds (aka linseeds) in replacement of flours since the GF Paleo Bread, so I went searching for a recipe using those ingredients and I found success!
Introducing the awesome blog, I Breathe…I’m Hungry. I have just recooked her recipe which you can find here and added my own insides that I already had in the fridge. Next, I am having a go at her pizza base and I will let you know how that goes. You can never have too many pizza bases!
I am so stoked with this recipe. It is really tasty, has a brilliant texture and very simple/cheap ingredients. It takes no time at all. You can make a big batch by doubling the ingredients and freeze the buns for when you need them. I’ve done just that.
Bootaful Burger Buns
- 1 cup flaxseeds ground up
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese ground up
- 2 eggs
- Put all ingredients in a bowl or Thermomix and stir together.
- Roll mixture in your clean hands and flatten to make bun shapes on grease proof paper.
- Put in the oven (I used 180C for approximately 10 minutes)
- Stop cooking once the edges are slightly browned and firmer to touch. If you cook the buns for too long the buns will become hard.
- Cook up and prepare some delicious burger fillings. I used: baby spinach leaves, bacon, garden tomatoes, cream cheese, backyard egg and bacon.
- Construct your burger and gobble it up.
It is really nice to bite into as well. It doesn’t crumble or fall apart. Go to the Farmer K’s Kitchen facebook page to see the ‘bitten into’ pic :)
Some other great gluten-free burger recipes to check out:
- Foody Bites – yummy burger patty recipe.
- Gluten Free Girl – these buns look like the real deal.
- Hot Pink Chilli – using eggplants for the bun! Genius.
- Elana’s Pantry - paleo turkey patties which look incredibly tasty.
- Chef and Steward – this one looks insanely interesting – no flours at all!
Photography by Kirk Vagg Fine Art Photography.